Stephen Strasburg is scheduled to pitch for the Syracuse Chiefs tomorrow night against the Buffalo Bisons and he is viewed by many as one of the most promising pitching prospects in years. Get to the game if you can, it will likely be a great memory to look back upon.
Here are some stats on this potential superstar:
- Born July 20, 1988 in San Diego, CA (Age 21)
- Throws right / 6’4 / 220lbs
- Fastball clocked between 95 and 100 mph
- Curveball clocked between 79 and 81 mph
- 1st player selected in 2009 MLB Draft
- Named the #1 prospect in baseball by Baseball America in 2010
- Only college player selected for Team USA in 2008 Beijing Olympics
- Signed $15 million contract with the Washington Nationals on August 17, 2009
- Currently pitches for the AAA Syracuse Chiefs
- Recorded 1.64 ERA with the AA Harrisburg Senators
- During his junior year at San Diego State, went 13–1 with a 1.32 ERA, 59 hits allowed, 16 earned runs, 19 walks and 195 strikeouts in 109 innings
- During his sophmore year at San Diego State, went 8–3, with a 1.57 earned run average and 133 strikeouts in 97⅓ innings
Strasburg will make his MLB debut with the Washington Nationals against the Pittsburg Pirates on June 8, 2010.